Monday, January 2, 2012

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

"You will splash out on something shiny that catches your eye today, but you may regret it tomorrow when you realize how much it actually cost. Your partner may be angry too (so don’t mention it.)"


I've had my eye on this gilded octopus for about five years. Or rather, I saw it first five years ago, fell in love with it, and did not have the money to buy it. Then the dealer who was selling it closed up shop.

Imagine my surprise when I found out today she was once again open for business, and it was still available.

Good thing she, and it, are on the other side of the Atlantic.


4 comments:

  1. What, pray tell, is this item...a soap dish, an ashtray, ???

    What would you do with said item if you owned it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an Austrian Bronze salt dish, circa 1900.

    Gaze upon it with wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have several salt cellars from Frank's mother, but I've never seen one this large!


    P.S. When is Cate's BD (see comment on previous post)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very beautiful!
    I am so grateful that I don't desire it, but only admire it.
    I just busted one of my salt shakers polishing it. The solder gave. People who put salt in silver things are silly, anyway.
    And Cate's a Scorpio.

    ReplyDelete