Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Scam Me Up, Scotty

"Back off a bit and let things develop at their own pace. Some situations develop so fast there is really no point in trying to direct events. The best you can do is to watch what happens and react appropriately."



 About a week ago I listed my extremely expensive German bathroom fixtures on New York City's Craigslist. I've had quite a number of responses. Most of them go something like this: Now mind you, this guy is prepared to buy over $4,000 worth of bathroom fixtures, and he hasn't asked a single question about them. 

"...as soon as i make the payment for it, you will be sent a notification for the payment receipt in this your email ....that is if you use this your email address to set up the paypal account and i have a mover that will come over for the pick up and the pick up representatives only comes up when we have finish the deal so don't worry i will be the one to take care of the pick up expenses ok. i look to read from you soon."
 

My first response went something like this:

"Dear Mr. James:  If you are a legitimate buyer, please call me at (706) 319-1935 to discuss this sale. I have a Paypal account. Use my same email to make a payment. After it has cleared, I will ship you the merchandise at my expense.  This "my movers will pick it up" business is a sure sign of a scam. All scammers use the same line.  If you are legitimate, I'll expect a call and we'll go from there. 
P.S."I look forward to read from you soon?"  What exactly does that mean?? I hope to steal from you soon?"

He was not at all discouraged.  This morning he sent me the same email, with a few variations. I decided to react appropriately!

"Dear Sir: Good! I am eager sell you these things!  Please send Paypal payment of $4,300 to cba@netcommander.com.  Once it clear, we can make arrangements to you pick it up. Since I, too, am worried as are so scams, I will have my lawyer present to witness the shipping company's when pick up. And a police officer from my town, as well.  Thanks! I look forward to receive your payment today. Please pay at once as many other people are want to buy this thing.  Catherine"
 

2 comments:

  1. This is even better than what I had in mind! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOO, TOO FUNNY!!!

    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete